NAWIC provides a range of tools that offer support, knowledge and expertise to our members.
In the NAWIC forums members are able to discuss important issues relating to the construction industry and stay up to date with contacts around the UK and Ireland.
Please note that while some resources such as our Mentoring area are open to all, other resources are only available to NAWIC members.
Currently this is the content of our online Resources:
NAWIC Publications NAWIC Presentations
• Basic Guide to Twitter • Attraction and retention
• Construction Press Database • Roundtable:Industry Health check
• Institutes and Organisations Database • Roundtable: encouraging women to join the industry
• Construction Data Finding Resources • London Build Expo 2015:Attracting Skills
• Small Business : Collaborative resources • Constructing Excellence Annual Convention 2014
• Small Business: Graphic resources • Working Session Conclusions: Changing Perceptions
• Small Business : Marketing resources • Working Session Conclusions: Challenging Bias
• Small Business: Admin resources
Careers & Recruitment Mentoring
• CV Writing Tips Industry Calendars
• Bio Writing Tips • Trade/ Industry Expos
• NAWIC Recruiters Network Forums
• Job Hunting Sites Papers by others
• Notes: Speed Networking
"Mentoring is to support and encourage people to manage their own learning in order that they may maximise their potential, develop their skills, improve their performance and become the person they want to be." Eric Parsloe, The Oxford School of Coaching & Mentoring
Wether you are looking for a mentor of to become a mentor, NAWIC has links with multiple organisations, universities, colleges and schools and are increasingly called upon to act as mentors or to provide mentors to women who are either:
- considering careers in the construction industry, or
- looking to progress up the career ladder
Careers advice and talks are currently provided in the following regions .
- London & South East
- North East
- North West
Furthermore, we have partnered with Fluid Diversity Mentoring Programme to offer access to a formalised programme to our members.
Fluid is a pan professional mentoring programme created as a collaboration between RIBA, CIC, Architects for Change and Stephen Lawrence Trust and it has been running since 2012. A number of NAWIC's committee members have been part of the programme since 2013 as so have our members. With this in mind, in the past year we have been discussing a formalisation of this on going collaboration and we are now active supporters of the programme.
The Fluid team were also behind the RIBA's mentoring tool kits which your company will find useful to set up an in-house programme
- Speed Mentoring Toolkit (LINK)
- Mentoring Programme Guidance: introduction and overview (LINK)
- Mentoring Programme Guidance: information for mentors and mentees (LINK)
- Mentoring Programme Guidance: Step by Step guide (LINK)
- Mentoring Programme Guidance: Case studies (LINK)
For other mentoring opportunities within the industry, please see the following links:
Mentoring Skills development WAVE (Women Adding Value to the Economy, Construction)
Get Mentoring "Get Mentoring was a public-private sector partnership initiative to unlock, train and support a community of enterprise mentors across the UK. Our aim was to recruit and train thousands of mentors from the micro, small and medium-sized business community."
Mentoring a Young person West Midlands Construction
The girls' network A charity that puts together girls and women's with the aim to inspire.